Time to make: 16 mins , plus 1 hr soaking
( Hands-on time: 1 min )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 cups trim milk
- 1/2 cup sago
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Total fat 2g
Saturated fat 1g
dietary fibre N/S
1 Pour milk into a large microwaveable dish. Add sago and let it soak for 1 hour.
2 Microwave sago on high for 4 minutes. Stir. Microwave sago on high for 4 more minutes. Stir then microwave sago on medium for 5 minutes. By now mixture should be thick, with glassy beads of sago showing through. If not, microwave again on medium for 1 minute at a time until cooked.
3 Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla together in a cup then quickly stir it into hot sago mixture.
4 Microwave sago on medium for 2 minutes then serve hot. Serving suggestion This pudding is delicious with a fruit salad or with a tablespoon of jam.
- You can add a subtle flavour to the dish by using dark sugar or honey.
- Use stevia instead of sugar for a less energy-rich dessert. Read the stevia container to find out how much to use: it can be as little as 1/2 teaspoon, depending on the brand.
- Try sprinkling some cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom on top of the pudding just before serving.
- Use oven gloves to remove the dish from the microwave each time it is stirred as it will become hot as the sago cooks.
- You can store the pudding in the fridge and reheat it the next day.
What is sago?
Sago is the starchy inside part of the trunk of a sago palm. The beads are produced by separating the starch from other parts of the plant then forming this extract into a dough. The dough is then forced through a sieve before being heated at high temperatures. You can buy sago from the baking aisle at the supermarket.
Rate this recipe
1 People Rated This Recipe
- (5 / 5)