Seared beef, lentil and beetroot salad
- 4 medium (about 500g) beetrootbeetsX, trimmed
- oil spray
- 2 x 200g sirloin steaks, trimmed
- 300g broccoli, cut in small florets
- 400g can lentils in spring water, drained, rinsed
- 3 stalks celery, cut in 5cm pieces
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, torn
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 2 wholemeal pita breads, toasted, halved
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with tinfoil. Place beetroot on tray. Cover with tinfoil. Roast for 1 hour until tender when pierced. Set aside to cool slightly then peel (wear gloves to prevent staining). Cut in thin wedges.
2 Meanwhile, spray a large frying pan with oil and place over a high heat. Cook steaks for 2–3 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Remove, cover loosely with tinfoil and rest for 3 minutes.
3 Meanwhile, blanch broccoli until tender-crisp. Drain well. Place broccoli, beetroot, lentils, celery and parsley in a large bowl. Thinly slice beef and add to bowl. Drizzle with balsamic and toss gently to combine.
4 Divide salad among serving plates, top with avocado and serve with toasted pita bread.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 10g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pita bread.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us