Seared beef, lentil and beetroot salad
(at time of publication)
- 4 medium (about 500g) beetrootbeetsX, trimmed
- spray oil
- 2 x 200g sirloin steaks, trimmed
- 300g broccoli, cut in small florets
- 400g can lentils in spring water, drained, rinsed
- 3 stalks celery, cut in 5cm pieces
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, torn
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 2 wholemeal pita breads, toasted, halved
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with tinfoil. Place beetroot on tray. Cover with tinfoil. Roast for 1 hour until tender when pierced. Set aside to cool slightly then peel (wear gloves to prevent staining). Cut in thin wedges.
2 Meanwhile, spray a large frying pan with oil and place over a high heat. Cook steaks for 2–3 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Remove, cover loosely with tinfoil and rest for 3 minutes.
3 Meanwhile, blanch broccoli until tender-crisp. Drain well. Place broccoli, beetroot, lentils, celery and parsley in a large bowl. Thinly slice beef and add to bowl. Drizzle with balsamic and toss gently to combine.
4 Divide salad among serving plates, top with avocado and serve with toasted pita bread.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pita bread.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information