Spaghetti and meatballs in pomodoro sauce
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 300g wholemeal spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g lean beef mince, rolled into 16-20 small balls
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup grated or julienned carrot
- 1 cup grated or julienned courgette
- 400g passata
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 1/2 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar, to serve
Total fat 15g
Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 12g
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add spaghetti and stir to prevent sticking. Cook according to packet directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan heat oil over medium. Add meatballs and cook for 6-8 minutes, until browned. Remove and set aside.
- In the same frying pan, place onion, garlic, carrot and courgette and cook 4-5 mins until tender. Add passata, tomatoes and basil and stir to combine. Lower heat and simmer to reduce slightly (about 5 minutes). Add meatballs back to pan and stir to coat.
- To serve, divide pasta among 4 plates. Top with meatballs and sauce, and sprinkle over cheese and remaining basil.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta and check passata is gluten free.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us