Tender lamb curry
Time to make: 1 hr 30 mins , plus marinating
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g lean lamb, cubed
- 10 baby onions
- olive oil spray
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 teaspoons medium curry paste
- 420g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or coriandercilantroX
- 1 1/2 cups liquid vegetable or lamb stock (made with stock cube)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 rosemary stems (optional)
- salt and pepper, to season
- 1/2 cup stonepitXd dates, chopped
Total fat 16g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 3g
1 To make marinade, mix ginger, ground coriander and oil in a bowl. Add lamb and toss to coat evenly. Season and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
2 Place onions in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water. Peel and halve.
3 Spray a frying pan with oil and cook lamb in batches until evenly browned. Add garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
4 Place lamb in a casserole dish and stir in flour and paste. Add onions, tomatoes, wine, herbs, stock, cinnamon, bay leaf and rosemary (if using). Season. Bring to the boil. Cover. Cook at 180ºC for 1 1/4 hours, stirring occasionally.
5 Discard cinnamon and bay leaf. Add dates and return to oven for 15 more minutes. Garnish with mint and serve.
Vegetable couscous, and a spoonful of yoghurt flavoured with chopped spring onion, garlic and chopped mint