Thai chicken potReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- spray oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 500g lean skinless chicken breast, cut in chunks
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass paste (we used Gourmet Garden)
- 1 medium-sized kumarasweet-potatoX (about 200g), peeled, cut in chunks
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green or red capsicum, sliced
- 400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained, rinsed
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 165ml can light coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups salt-reduced liquid chicken stock
- 1–2 kaffir lime leaves, sliced (optional, see tip)
- 2 tablespoons cornflourcornstarchX
- 300g rice noodles
1 Turn slow cooker on to low. Heat a non-stick pan with oil spray and cook onion until softened. Add chicken with a little extra oil spray and cook until evenly browned. Add lemongrass paste to pan and toss to coat chicken.
2 Add chicken to slow cooker with all the remaining ingredients except cornflour and noodles. Add 1 1/2 cups water. Cook on low for 6 hours.
3 Mix a little of the liquid with cornflour to form a paste then stir paste into slow cooker mixture. Stir until sauce thickens slightly. Season to taste.
4 Cook noodles in boiling water then serve with chicken on top. Garnish with fresh coriander if preferred.
Make it gluten free: Check lemongrass paste, stock and cornflour are gluten free.
Kaffir lime leaves (sold in the fresh herb aisle) give this dish a real Thai zing.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information