Vegetable barley soup
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large stalk celery, sliced
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 400g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock (plus 2 cups water)
- 1 cup green beans, roughly chopped
- 1 cup green peas, defrosted if frozen
- 1 cup corn sweetcornXkernels, defrosted if frozen
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped, plus extra to serve
- ground black pepper to taste
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 17g
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion, garlic, carrots, celery and mushrooms and cook until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat, add next 6 ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat again and simmer until the barley is tender, about 30 minutes. If you notice that the soup needs more liquid, add more water, ½ cup at a time.
- Mix in beans, peas and corn and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf from the soup, stir in parsley and season.
- Divide soup among 6 bowls. Scatter over remaining parsley and serve.
Make it vegan: Check stock is vegan.
Rate this recipe
1 People Rated This Recipe
- (5 / 5)