- 1 bunch (3 cups) gai lan (Chinese broccoli), cut in 4cm lengths
- 250g assorted mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, halved lengthways, thinly sliced diagonally
- 3/4 cup corn sweetcornXkernels or 125g baby corn, halved lengthways
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons castor sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 x 250g packets microwaveable brown rice, warmed
- 125g bean sprouts, trimmed
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
1 Set a large deep non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add 2½ cups cold water and bring to the boil. Add gai lan, mushrooms, carrot and corn. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2 Add miso paste, soy sauce, mirin and sugar to pan. Stir. Simmer for 3 minutes.
3 Meanwhile, whisk eggs and egg whites in a medium-sized bowl. Pour egg mixture into vegetable mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until egg is just set.
4 Divide rice among serving bowls. Spoon egg and vegetable mixture (along with its broth) over rice. Top with bean sprouts, spring onions and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 9g
- Types of mushrooms to try include enoki, shiitake, shimeji and oyster mushrooms.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free miso.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us