Vegetable donburiReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 bunch (3 cups) gai lan (Chinese broccoli), cut in 4cm lengths
- 250g assorted mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, halved lengthways, thinly sliced diagonally
- ¾ cup corn sweetcornXkernels or 125g baby corn, halved lengthways
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons mirin
- 2 teaspoons castor sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 x 250g packets microwaveable brown rice, warmed
- 125g bean sprouts, trimmed
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
1 Set a large deep non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add 2½ cups cold water and bring to the boil. Add gai lan, mushrooms, carrot and corn. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2 Add miso paste, soy sauce, mirin and sugar to pan. Stir. Simmer for 3 minutes.
3 Meanwhile, whisk eggs and egg whites in a medium-sized bowl. Pour egg mixture into vegetable mixture. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until egg is just set.
4 Divide rice among serving bowls. Spoon egg and vegetable mixture (along with its broth) over rice. Top with bean sprouts, spring onions and serve.
- Types of mushrooms to try include enoki, shiitake, shimeji and oyster mushrooms.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free miso.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information