(at time of publication)
- 200g reduced-fat spread, softened
- ½ cup castor sugar
- 1 cup plain flourall purpose flourX
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups cornflakes
- spray oil
- 1 cup icingfrostingX sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 30 (about ⅓ cup) walnut halves
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Preheat oven to 180°C . Cream spread and sugar until light and fluffy. In a small bowl mix flours and cocoa together then add to spread mixture. Fold in corn flakes.
2 Spoon mounds of mixture onto a greased baking tray, gently pressing together and flattening. Bake at for about 15 minutes or until set. Cool on a rack.
3 To make icing, sift icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Mix vanilla and water together. Pour into icing sugar and stir until combined. Spread on top of cold afghans and top each with a walnut half.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free baking mix instead of flours, and check cocoa and cornflakes are gluten free.
- Try using sultana bran flakes instead of corn flakes for a non-traditional but equally delicious version.
Makeover! You save…per serve
110kJ or 26 cal
2g total fat
3g sat fat
What we did
- Replaced butter with reduced-fat spread
- Used some wholemeal flour
- Reduced amount of cocoa
- Halved the quantities of icing ingredients and omitted butter
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 1g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.