Apple and carrot pikelets
(at time of publication)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup wholemeal flour
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 small apple, peeled, grated
- 1 small carrot, peeled, grated
- dollop of low-fat plain yoghurt, to serve
- drizzle of honey or maple syrup, to serve
- In a bowl beat together egg, flour, milk and vanilla essence. Add apple and carrot and stir well.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Spoon pikelet mixture into pan to form small islands (see tips). Cook for 1 minute, then turn pikelets over with a spatula and cook for another 20 seconds. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Serve with yoghurt and honey or maple syrup.
Instead of yoghurt, you can serve pikelets with low-fat cottage cheese.
For a sweeter taste, use a mashed banana instead of apple. Note: the sweeter the batter, the easier it will burn, so watch pikelets carefully if using a banana.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour.
For heart-shaped pikelets, place a metal heart-shaped cookie cutter in the frying pan and pour batter into it. Note: it has to be metal as plastic will melt.
Decorate plate with mint leaves and a slice of apple shaped like a heart.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.