Asparagus and salmon strata
Time to make: 1 hr 20 mins , plus 1 hr chilling
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 3 bunches asparagus, trimmed, cut into 5cm lengths (6 serves)
- 2 medium green or yellow courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, thinly sliced (2 serves)
- oil spray
- 350g loaf crusty wholemeal bread, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 2 x 210g cans skinless and boneless salmon, drained
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 600ml trim milk
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 12 cups salad or steamed vegetables, to serve
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 9g
1 Steam or microwave asparagus and courgettes until just tender, about 2 minutes.
2 Spray a 20cm x 30cm (10 cup-capacity) baking dish with oil. Add half the bread cubes and top with parmesan. Top with half the salmon, asparagus, courgette and chives. Top with remaining bread, salmon, asparagus and courgette.
3 Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk and zest to combine. Pour over bread mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4 Preheat oven to 160°C. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until golden and set. Garnish with extra chives. Serve with salad or steamed vegetables.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread.
Leaving the bread mixture to soak for 1 hour will result in a fluffier, lighter strata.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us