Stir-fried barley with chicken and bok choy
- 1 cup (200g) pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 500g chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 medium red capsicum, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups trimmed, halved snow peas or green beans
- 1 bunch bok choy, trimmed, cut into 6cm lengths
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 teaspoons lightly toasted sesame seeds, to serve
- Cook barley in a large saucepan of boiling water over medium-high heat for about 25 minutes, or until al dente. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, place half the oil in a large wok over high heat. Stir-fry chicken for 2 minutes, or until browned. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Return wok to high heat and add remaining oil. Stir-fry onion and ginger for 1 minute. Add capsicum and snow peas and stir-fry for 1–2 minutes, or until almost tender. Add bok choy and stir-fry for a further minute.
- Return chicken to wok with cooked barley, soy sauce and mirin. Toss together until combined and heated through. Serve garnished with sesame seeds.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us