Baked bologneseReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes in juice
- spray oil, to grease
- 400g spaghetti pasta, broken and cooked in boiling salted water
- ½ cup grated edam cheese
- ½ cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
1 Heat a frying pan and add olive oil. Gently fry celery and carrots. Cover and cook for a few minutes. Add garlic and stir through for 1 more minute. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
2 Reheat pan and add mince in two batches. Break up with a wooden spoon and brown thoroughly. Add the lightly fried vegetables. Pour in tomatoes then bring to the boil. Stir ingredients together and break up tomatoes as it comes to the boil.
3 Spray a large ovenproof dish (a 2-litre-capacity lasagne dish is ideal) lightly with oil. Add cooked pasta. Pour over hot bolognese sauce. Cover with cheese. Cook in a moderate oven, for 20 minutes or until slightly golden on top.
- Try adding canned tomatoes with added flavours such as herbs or capsicum.
- Add a little extra tomato juice or water if you prefer a thinner sauce.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information