Banana and coconut loaf
Time to make: 1 hr 10 mins , using food processor method
- ⅓ cup oil (canola or rice bran or olive)
- ⅓ cup honey or maple syrup (can use less if you prefer)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed banana (approx. 2 large bananas)
- ¼ cup unsweetened natural yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon and ½ teaspoon mixed spice (or 1 teaspoon of either if you don’t have both)
- ½ cup high-grade wholemeal flour (or alternative flour of your choice)
- 1 ¼ cups rolled oatsoatmeal uncookedX
- ⅓ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
1 Preheat oven to 170˚C. Grease a 12cm x 20cm loaf pan.
2 Place oil, honey (or maple syrup), eggs, banana and yoghurt in a food processor and blend. (I have used my fabulous Kenwood Multipro Excel. This is the ideal method if you want to use frozen bananas, which can be added without defrosting them first.)
3 Add remaining ingredients to food processor and blend until combined.
4 Pour mixture into greased loaf tin and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon or mixed spice. Bake 50 minutes to 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. If it needs longer, cover loaf with foil so top doesn’t burn.
5 Let loaf cool in pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool, then slice.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 2g
Make it egg free: Substitute eggs for ‘flax egg’ (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed soaked in 5 tablespoons water for 5 minutes).
To make this loaf by hand:
Step 1 In a large bowl beat oil and honey (or maple syrup) together with a whisk or fork. Add banana, then add eggs and yoghurt and beat well.
Step 2 Add baking powder, baking soda, vanilla and spices. Whisk to blend. Stir in flour, oats and coconut until combined. It won’t be a smooth mixture – lumps are normal! If you want to add any nuts, now is the time.
Then follow steps 4 and 5 above.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us