Black bean chilli
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons minced red chilli
- 2 cobs corn, husks removed
- 2 large coloured capsicums, deseeded, diced
- 500g tomatoes, core removed, quartered
- 400g can Mexican-style tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups cooked rice, to serve
- reduced-fat sour cream, to serve
- chopped fresh coriandercilantroX, to garnish (optional)
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Heat a large ovenproof saucepan and add oil. Lightly fry onion for a few minutes then add garlic and chilli. Cook for 2 more minutes. Place corn in a shallow microwave-proof bowl, add a little water and cover with plastic wrap. Cook in microwave on high for 3-4 minutes.
2 Add capsicums and tomatoes to saucepan. Stir and bring to the boil. Rinse corn briefly under cold running water. Slice kernels off cob and add to chilli pot. Stir until evenly mixed then cover with lid or tinfoil and place in oven for 25 minutes.
3 Add drained beans to chilli. Cover and return to oven to cook for 20 more minutes.
4 Serve Black bean chilli hot from pan with rice and a little dollop of sour cream. Scatter over a little chopped coriander to serve (if using).
- Substitute any canned beans for black beans.
- Make it gluten free: Check Mexican-style tomatoes are gluten free.
- This recipe freezes well
- A fresh avocado, red onion and peach salsa goes well with this chilli.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 6g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 14g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.