Broccoli super salad
- 1 head broccoli or 2 bunches broccolini
- 1 cup pearl barley, cooked*
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts or mixed sprouts
- 1 orange, peeled, segmented
- ½ cup roasted walnuts, almonds, pistachio or pine nuts
- ¼ cup roasted tamari sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt-reduced soy sauce
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 Trim broccoli and cut in florets. If using broccolini, cut each stem in 3. If you don’t want to use broccoli raw, blanch in boiling water for 1 minute or until vegetables are bright green and tender but still crispy. Tip into a colander and run under cold water to cool. Drain well.
2 In a large salad bowl toss broccoli, barley, sprouts, orange segments, nuts and seeds.
3 To make dressing, whisk together orange zest and orange juice, garlic, oil, vinegar and soy sauce. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss gently. Adjust seasonings as required.
*To cook pearl barley, cover barley with cold water and bring to the boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
Humble vege star: Broccoli or broccolini
Broccoli is well known for beneficial nutrients and phytochemicals which aid in cancer prevention. The addition of nuts and seeds and using olive or canola oil for dressings are an easy way to add heart protective monounsaturated fats.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like