The ultimate veggie toastie with winter slawReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 head broccoli, broken into florets
- spray oil
- 2 cups kale, shredded
- 8 slices rye or sourdough bread
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed (optional)
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- ⅓ cup chargrilled capsicum (from a jar)
- 75g haloumi cheese, sliced
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Winter slaw
- ½ red cabbage, shredded
- 1 fennel bulb, shredded
- 1 pear, sliced
- ⅓ cup walnuts, almonds or cashew nuts
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup plain low-fat yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 190ºC. On a baking tray, arrange broccoli and spray with oil. Bake for 15 minutes. Add kale, spray with oil and cook a further 5 minutes.
- Heat a sandwich maker or grill. Spread bread with some avocado and mustard. Top with capsicum, cheese, broccoli and kale. Season with pepper. Drizzle with a little oil. Top with bread. Spray with oil. Repeat with remaining filling and bread. Toast until golden.
- In a bowl, combine all the slaw ingredients. Season to taste. Serve with the toasties.
Make it vegan: Check bread is vegan. Substitute your favourite vegan cheese for the haloumi and a plain coconut yoghurt for the dairy yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check mustard is gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 30g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 16g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information