Chicken in red wine
- 8 shallots or baby onions, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil, plus spray oil
- 8 (800g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 potatoes, sliced
- 2 kumarasweet-potatoX, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 parsnips, sliced
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- ½ cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ⅓ cup fresh sage leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- ⅓ cup fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 cup peas
1 Turn slow cooker to low. Heat a non-stick frying pan with oil and cook onions and garlic until lightly golden. Remove from pan and place in slow cooker. Spray pan with oil and cook chicken until browned on all sides.
2 Top onion and garlic with half the potatoes, kumara, carrots and parsnips. Add chicken and then remaining vegetables. Mix stock, wine and paste together with 1/2 cup water, herbs and seasonings. Pour over chicken and veges.
3 Cover and cook for 5½-6 hours. Mix cornflour with some of the cooking liquid to form a paste. Add peas with paste and cook for a further 15 minutes. Serve with crusty bread.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 11g
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free cornflour and check stock and tomato paste are gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us