Chicken shawarma with cucumber and dill salad
(at time of publication)
- 600g chicken breast fillets, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 200g baby spinach
- 1 ½ tablespoons coarsely chopped dill
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat Greek-style yoghurt
- 4 wholemeal wraps, or pita bread
1 Place the chicken, cumin, paprika, allspice, garlic, ginger, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium bowl, and mix well. Thread chicken onto 8 metal or soaked wooden skewers.
2 Preheat a barbecue hotplate or large grill pan to medium–high heat. Cook chicken skewers for 4 minutes each side, or until browned and cooked through.
3 Combine cucumber, onion, spinach and dill with remaining lemon juice and oil in a small bowl. Serve chicken with salad, yoghurt and wholemeal wraps.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free wraps and check spices and yoghurt are gluten free.
You can freeze uncooked marinated chicken, so consider making a double batch.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information