Chickpea, pumpkin and walnut burgers
(at time of publication)
- 150g pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- 2 slices soy and linseed bread, torn roughly
- 300g can chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup walnuts, toasted
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- cooking spray oil
- 100g hummus
- ¼ cup low-fat yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 8 slices whole grain (or soy and linseed) bread, toasted
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced
- ⅓ cup red capsicum strips, drained
- 1 cup mixed lettuce leaves
1 Steam, boil or microwave pumpkin until tender. Drain well and mash.
2 Process bread to crumbs in a food processor. Remove to a bowl. Process chickpeas and walnuts until a paste forms. Add to breadcrumbs along with pumpkin and onions. Combine well, then shape into 4 even-sized patties. Chill for 30 minutes.
3 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Spray patties with oil and bake for 15 minutes. Turn over, spray again, and cook for another 10 minutes.
4 Meanwhile, combine hummus with yoghurt. Add coriander.
5 Place a slice of toast onto each plate. Spread with hummus mixture, then top with patty, cucumber, capsicum, lettuce, and remaining toast. Serve immediately.
Double the quantities and freeze extra patties for the following week.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.