Tom yum with tempehReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 2 stalks lemongrass, thick ends removed
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
- 250g pack tempeh, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, peeled, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated (see tips)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock (we used Massel)
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 4 medium courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, spiralised fresh coriandercilantroX, torn, lime wedges and spring onion, sliced, to garnish
1 Using the heel of your hand and the flat of your knife, smash lemongrass stalks to release more flavour. In a large, heavy-based pot, heat oil over medium. Add tempeh and lemongrass and cook for 2-3 minutes, until browned. Remove tempeh and set aside. Add onion, garlic, ginger and kaffir leaves to the pot and cook for a further
2 minutes, stirring often. 2 Add stock, 3 cups water and chilli to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
3 Add tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes before adding lime juice. Stir while bringing back to a simmer.
4 Divide courgette noodles among 4 bowls, ladle soup over, top with tempeh slices and garnish with coriander, lime wedges and spring onion. Serve immediately.
Make it gluten free: Check tempeh and stock are gluten free.
If you can find it, try galangal instead of ginger. It has a spicy, citrus, almost pine flavour.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information