Tom yum with tempeh
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 2 stalks lemongrass, thick ends removed
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
- 250g pack tempeh, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, peeled, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated (see tips)
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock (we used Massel)
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 4 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 4 medium courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, spiralised fresh coriandercilantroX, torn, lime wedges and spring onion, sliced, to garnish
Total fat 11g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 6g
1 Using the heel of your hand and the flat of your knife, smash lemongrass stalks to release more flavour. In a large, heavy-based pot, heat oil over medium. Add tempeh and lemongrass and cook for 2-3 minutes, until browned. Remove tempeh and set aside. Add onion, garlic, ginger and kaffir leaves to the pot and cook for a further
2 minutes, stirring often. 2 Add stock, 3 cups water and chilli to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
3 Add tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes before adding lime juice. Stir while bringing back to a simmer.
4 Divide courgette noodles among 4 bowls, ladle soup over, top with tempeh slices and garnish with coriander, lime wedges and spring onion. Serve immediately.
Make it gluten free: Check tempeh and stock are gluten free.
If you can find it, try galangal instead of ginger. It has a spicy, citrus, almost pine flavour.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us