Chilli con carne with avocado salsa
(at time of publication)
- olive spray oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic,finely chopped
- 400g lean beef mince
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 2 x 400g cans no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 400g can no-added-salt kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- coriandercilantroX leaves, to garnish
- 2 soft wholegrain tortillas, warmed until crisp, to serve
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat sour cream, to serve
- lime wedges, to serve
- Avocado salsa
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, diced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, diced
- ¼ cup coriandercilantroX leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- cracked black pepper
1 Set a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat and spray with olive oil. Add onion, carrots and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Add beef mince and cook, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon, for 4-5 minutes, or until browned.
2 Add chilli powder to pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer beef mixture, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Stir kidney beans through mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes, or until chilli con carne is thick.
3 Meanwhile, make avocado salsa. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
4 Top chilli con carne with a dollop of sour cream, season with cracked black pepper and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve with crisp tortillas, avocado salsa and lime wedges.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free tortillas and check chilli powder and sour cream are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 23g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.