(at time of publication)
- 400g wholemeal pasta
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup diced capsicum
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 cups low-fat evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
1 Cook pasta following packet directions. Keep an eye on pot.
2 Meanwhile, while keeping an eye on pasta pot, heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add onion and stir for 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
3 Add capsicum, mushrooms, carrots, broccoli and basil. Stir and fry for 3-4 minutes. Reduce heat and pour in milk. Sprinkle over paprika and stir through. Cook for 1 minute.
4 Pour over cooked pasta and serve immediately.
- Make it dairy free: Replace evaporated milk with 1 cup reduced-fat coconut milk and 1 cup water.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta and check paprika is gluten free.
- This recipe also works with other veges such as grated courgette, olives, capers, peas, corn and cauliflower.
- To increase protein, add a 425g can tuna in spring water or a 415g can pink salmon.
- To increase protein but still keep the dish vegetarian, add 200g silken tofu.
Did you know? Orecchiette is Italian for ‘little ears’ — and orecchiette pasta looks just like that!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 18g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us