Creamy peanut vege curry
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup brown rice
- spray oil
- 200g firm tofu, chopped in 2cm chunks
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, sliced in half moons
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- fresh coriandercilantroX, to garnish (optional)
- fresh chilli slices or chilli flakes, to garnish (optional)
- In a pot add brown rice and 2 cups water. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 25 minutes, or until rice is tender and water is absorbed.
- Spray a large pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook for 2-3 minutes, tossing to lightly brown. Remove from pan and set aside. Add onion and garlic to pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add carrot and courgette and cook for 2 minutes. Return tofu to pan and reduce heat to low.
- In a jug combine peanut butter, chilli sauce, curry powder and coconut milk with 1 cup water. Add to pan and bring to a simmer, stirring. Simmer for 5-8 minutes, to reduce and thicken sauce. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
- Serve curry with rice, garnished with coriander and chilli, if desired.
Make it gluten free: Check tofu, sweet chilli sauce and curry powder are gluten free.
This is a mild curry. If you like it hot, add more curry powder and garnish with fresh chillies or chilli flakes.
This recipe easily doubles and leftovers are great for lunch.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.