Creamy soup 101Reviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped (or use another starchy vegetable such as kumarasweet-potatoX or pumpkin)
- 4 cups chopped vegetables (or a mixture of vegetables)
- stock or water to cover
- salt and pepper
1 Sauté chopped onion in oil in a large saucepan until soft but not browned. Add around 4 cups of peeled chopped vegetables and the chopped potato. The starchiness of the potato improves the overall texture of the soup.
2 Gently cook the vegetables in the saucepan with the lid on for about 5 minutes on a low heat (this is known as ‘sweating’), then add water, stock or a combination of both to just cover the vegetables.
3 Simmer with the lid off until the veges are very soft, then process using a stick blender until smooth (you can also do this in a normal blender, in batches). Add as much extra liquid as you like while doing this to get the soup to your preferred thickness. Taste and season as you like.
- Add dried spices or fresh herbs.
- Include bacon, lamb shanks or spicy sausage.
- Finish with milk, cream, evaporated milk, coconut cream or additional stock to achieve the desired texture.
- Garnish with croutons, crispy bacon bits, cheesy pastries, fresh herbs or a swirl of cream.
‘Creamy’ in this instance refers to the texture, rather than creamy ingredients.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4g
–Saturated fat 0.4g
Dietary fibre 5.2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information