Chicken laksa-style soup
(at time of publication)
- 450g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- spray oil
- 1 cup liquid salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 fresh red chilli, chopped
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons no-added-salt-or-sugar peanut butter
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh coriandercilantroX, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 300g green beans, trimmed, halved
- 3 cups cubed pumpkin
- 275ml Trident Lite coconut milk
- 300g rice noodles
- 2 limes (optional)
1 Place chicken on one-half of a sheet of baking paper twice its size. Sprinkle with five spice. Season. Cover with other baking paper half and with a rolling pin flatten chicken until double in size.
2 Heat a non-stick pan with a little oil spray. Cook chicken until golden on both sides and cooked through. Set aside.
3 Heat stock and 3 cups boiling water in a pan. Meanwhile, to make paste, place all paste ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, adding 1-2 tablespoons water if needed.
4 Add paste to stock with beans, pumpkin and coconut milk. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
5 Add chicken and noodles and heat for 5 more minutes. Serve garnished with fresh coriander and lime wedges if you prefer.
- Use whatever vegetables are in season. Add a little more five spice.
- Make it gluten free: Check spices, stock and fish sauce are gluten free. Use gluten-free soy sauce.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.