Chicken laksa-style soup
- 450g boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- spray oil
- 1 cup liquid salt-reduced chicken stock
- 1 fresh red chilli, chopped
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons no-added-salt-or-sugar peanut butter
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh coriandercilantroX, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 300g green beans, trimmed, halved
- 3 cups cubed pumpkin
- 275ml Trident Lite coconut milk
- 300g rice noodles
- 2 limes (optional)
1 Place chicken on one-half of a sheet of baking paper twice its size. Sprinkle with five spice. Season. Cover with other baking paper half and with a rolling pin flatten chicken until double in size.
2 Heat a non-stick pan with a little oil spray. Cook chicken until golden on both sides and cooked through. Set aside.
3 Heat stock and 3 cups boiling water in a pan. Meanwhile, to make paste, place all paste ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, adding 1-2 tablespoons water if needed.
4 Add paste to stock with beans, pumpkin and coconut milk. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
5 Add chicken and noodles and heat for 5 more minutes. Serve garnished with fresh coriander and lime wedges if you prefer.
- Use whatever vegetables are in season. Add a little more five spice.
- Make it gluten free: Check spices, stock and fish sauce are gluten free. Use gluten-free soy sauce.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like