Hearty tomato and red lentil soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 10 medium (1kg) tomatoes, finely diced or 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- pinch of salt, to serve
- ground black pepper, to serve
- 4 toasted slices Vogel’s Original Mixed Grain bread (or similar)
- 8 teaspoons reduced-fat spread
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, carrot and cumin seeds. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add ground coriander, paprika, turmeric and tomatoes and continue to cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add water, lentils and tomato paste. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 25-30 minutes, adding a touch more water if needed. Add sugar, if using, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, with toast and spread.
If you love smoky flavours, use smoked paprika in place of regular.
Make it vegan: Check bread and spread are vegan.
This recipe is ideal for making big batches and freezing.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 15g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like