Fresh apple cobbler with golden syrup
Time to make: 45 mins
( Hands-on time: 10 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1.25kg tart apples (Granny Smith or new season Braeburns are excellent), cored, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fresh nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon rice flour or homemade gluten-free flour mix (see Tips)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 tablespoon golden syrupmaple syrup corn syrupX
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed/linseed or LSA (ground linseed, sunflower, almond)
- 1/2 cup rice, soy or almond milk
- 1/4 cup neutral tasting oil (rice bran, canola or light olive oil)
- 1/2 cup brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 2 cups (270g) homemade gluten-free flour mix (see Tips)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
Total fat 10g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 4g
1 Preheat oven to 180ºC. Place apples in a large bowl and toss with lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, rice flour and sugar. Pour apple mixture into a medium-sized, heavy-duty baking (or casserole) dish. Drizzle golden syrup over apples and set aside.
2 To prepare topping, in a medium-sized mixing bowl combine ground flaxseed, rice milk, oil and sugar. Mix for a couple of minutes until smooth.
3 Sift in gluten-free flour mix, salt, baking soda, baking powder and lemon zest. Mix to form a soft dough round.
4 Place dough on a flexible non-stick surface such as baking paper or plastic wrap and gently roll dough to a similar size and shape as the baking dish the apples are in. Dough will be about 1cm thick. Pick dough up by corners of plastic wrap, line up with baking dish, and invert on top of apples. Cut a few slits in dough.
5 Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
Serve with a dollop of low-fat plain yoghurt and a sprinkling of gluten-free ground cinnamon.