(at time of publication)
- oil spray
- 80g reduced-fat spread, melted
- ½ cup packed soft brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup trim milk
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- 50g dark chocolate, chopped
- 150g frozen mixed berries
- 2 teaspoons (total) icingfrostingX sugar and/or drinking-chocolate powder, to dust
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Coat a 20cm-square cake tin with a light spray of oil then line tin with baking paper.
2 Beat spread and sugar with a wooden spoon. Add eggs and beat to combine. Fold milk, banana, cocoa and flours into egg mixture until just combined. Fold chocolate and berries into brownie mixture.
3 Spoon mixture into tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until firm to the touch. Leave cooked mixture to stand in tin for 10 minutes. Slice in 16 squares. Dust brownies with icing sugar and/or chocolate powder.
How we did it
- Halved the sugar and sweetened with a banana.
- Used 75 per cent less chocolate and added cocoa powder for richer flavour.
- Replaced butter with reduced-fat spread to lower saturated fat and kilojoules.
- Swapped walnuts for mixed berries to cut kilojoules.
- Used trim milk rather than dark-blue-top milk to cut fat.
- 470kJ/113 cal
- 10g fat
- 4g sat fat
- 8g sugars
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flours and check cocoa powder, chocolate, icing sugar and drinking chocolate are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us