Garlic and chilli kale pasta
(at time of publication)
- 120g penne pasta
- 2 ½ cups shredded kale
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups diced pumpkin
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly shaved parmesan cheese (optional)
1 Cook pasta in boiling water until tender. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons pasta water. Set aside.
2 Place kale in a colander and pour boiling water over. Leave to stand for 1 minute then shake off water.
3 Heat oil in a large non-stick pan. Add garlic and chilli. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until softened. Add pumpkin and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add kale and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender.
4 Add cooked pasta to pan with reserved cooking water and toss to combine. Serve with pepper and parmesan (if using).
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta.
Kale cooking tips
- To prepare kale, break leaves from the stalk and trim away the tough centre stalk. Wash then shred or chop.
- Kale is normally boiled or stir-fried. For whole leaves, rinse then put in a pan without shaking off the water. Cover and cook for up to 2 minutes until wilted. Drain thoroughly.
- For chopped or shredded kale, place the leafy green in a pan of water 1cm deep with a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for up to 5 minutes until wilted. Drain thoroughly.
- To freeze kale, wash leaves thoroughly and cut off stems. Plunge kale into boiling water for 2 minutes then quickly douse in ice-cold water. Drain off excess moisture before packing in airtight containers or freezer bags. Freeze immediately.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.