Gluten-free spiced Christmas biscuits
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free plain flourall purpose flourX
- 1/4 cup fine polenta
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (check this and other spices are gluten free)
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 40g reduced-fat spread
- 1 egg
- icingfrostingX sugar, to dust (check this is gluten free)
1 Heat oven to 170°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Place flour, polenta, cocoa, sugar, spices, baking soda and spread in a food processor. Process until fine crumbs appear.
2 Add egg and 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water and process until dough just sticks together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently into a ball.
3 Divide dough into 2 balls. Roll out each portion between 2 sheets of lightly floured baking paper to about 2-3mm thickness. Cut out biscuit shapes using 6.5cm cutters (stars, bells, snowflakes). Lift biscuits onto prepared tray and bake for 10-12 minutes or until just crisp.
4 Lay a stencil over the hot biscuits and dust with icing sugar (this helps the sugar to set once the biscuits are cooled). Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool and serve.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 1g
Saturated fat 0g
Dietary fibre 1g
Store biscuits in a single layer in an airtight container to avoid smudging the icing sugar. They will keep for up to four weeks in a cool, dry place.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.