Grilled chilli chicken with green mango salad
(at time of publication)
- 2 long red chillies, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons rice bran oil
- 2 teaspoons grated palm sugar or brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 12 (about 600g) chicken tenderloins
- 50g rice vermicelli noodles
- 2 green mangoes, cut in matchsticks (with a mandolin or julienne peeler)
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, cut in matchsticks (with a mandolin or julienne peeler)
- 200g crunchy sprout mix
- 2 cups mixed baby salad greens
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh coriandercilantroX
- ⅓ cup fresh Thai basil or mint
- 2 tablespoons unsalted dry-roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
1 To make marinade, blend chillies, garlic, lime juice, fish sauce, oil and sugar until smooth. Transfer 1/2 cup to a large salad bowl. Place remaining marinade and chicken in a medium-sized bowl and turn chicken to coat.
2 Heat barbecue grill or set chargrill pan over a high heat. Cook chicken, turning and brushing with any remaining marinade in bowl, for 6-8 minutes or until cooked through.
3 Meanwhile, place noodles in a medium-sized heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave noodles to stand for 5 minutes or until tender. Use a fork to separate noodles. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Cut noodles in 10cm lengths.
4 Place remaining ingredients in salad bowl of marinade. Add noodles and toss gently to combine. Serve chilli chicken with green mango salad.
- To take some heat out of the chillies (and dressing), remove chilli seeds.
- If mangoes aren’t available, use green papaya or grated courgette.
- Make it gluten free: Check fish sauce is gluten free.
Palm sugar can be bought in hardened discs.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.