Potato and chana dhal curry
- 1 ½ cups chana dhal (yellow lentils)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried coriandercilantroX
- 2 x 400g cans Indian-style tomatoes
- 1.2L water
- 1.5kg waxy potatoes, peeled, diced
- 4 cups cooked rice, to serve
- 4 cups blanched beans, to serve
- handful chopped fresh coriandercilantroX, to serve
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Wash lentils well in several changes of water until water is clear. Drain.
2 Heat a large deep saucepan over a medium-high heat and add oil. Add mustard seeds. As seeds pop stir in ginger and garlic. Lightly fry for 30 seconds. Add coriander and fry for 30 more seconds.
3 Add tomatoes and lentils to pan. Cover with water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until lentils are soft. Add potatoes and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes or until tender. Serve with rice, beans and sprinkle over coriander.
To freeze: Pack in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. To thaw, defrost in microwave for 10 minutes then place in a saucepan on the stove top and reheat gently until simmering.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.