Potato and chana dhal curry
- 1 1/2 cups chana dhal (yellow lentils)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried coriandercilantroX
- 2 x 400g cans Indian-style tomatoes
- 1.2L water
- 1.5kg waxy potatoes, peeled, diced
- 4 cups cooked rice, to serve
- 4 cups blanched beans, to serve
- handful chopped fresh coriandercilantroX, to serve
1 Wash lentils well in several changes of water until water is clear. Drain.
2 Heat a large deep saucepan over a medium-high heat and add oil. Add mustard seeds. As seeds pop stir in ginger and garlic. Lightly fry for 30 seconds. Add coriander and fry for 30 more seconds.
3 Add tomatoes and lentils to pan. Cover with water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes until lentils are soft. Add potatoes and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes or until tender. Serve with rice, beans and sprinkle over coriander.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 8g
To freeze: Pack in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. To thaw, defrost in microwave for 10 minutes then place in a saucepan on the stove top and reheat gently until simmering.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us