Fragrant chicken curry
(at time of publication)
- spray oil
- 360g chicken thighs (bone in, skin removed)
- 1 quantity Fragrant curry paste or 2 tablespoons Massaman curry paste
- ¼ cup light coconut milk
- 1 fresh red chilli, sliced
- 1 teaspoon palm or brown sugarlight brown cane sugarX
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anise (optional)
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 5cm piece fresh turmeric, thinly sliced (optional)
- ¹/³ cup brown rice
- 3 cups spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 cups roughly chopped mixed winter greens, eg, broccoli, kale, spinach, silver beet
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Fragrant curry paste
- 2 fresh red chillies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 spring onions
- 25g cashew nuts
- ½ tablespoon shrimp paste (or use soy sauce)
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, sliced
1 If making your own curry paste, in a blender or food processor, blitz all 8 ingredients until smooth. Add a dash of hot water to help the mixture blend.
2 Spray a large lidded saucepan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook until browned, turning over to brown both sides. Remove from saucepan and set aside. Reduce heat to medium-low.
3 Add curry paste to saucepan. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes. Add coconut milk and stir to combine. Add 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer. Put chicken back in pan, along with chilli, sugar, cinnamon, star anise, if using, kaffir lime and turmeric, if using. Bring back to a simmer and cook, covered, for about 30 minutes, adding more water if needed. At a minute to go, add spinach leaves and cook until wilted.
4 Meanwhile, cook rice following packet instructions. In a frying pan, heat oil over high and cook winter greens for 2-3 minutes, until tender-crisp. Remove from heat.
5 Serve curry with rice and greens, garnished with fresh coriander and extra sliced chilli, if desired.
Make it gluten free: Check ground spices, soy sauce and curry paste are gluten free.
This curry recipe can be made in larger quantities and frozen.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 27g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information