Thai prawn cakes with pickled carrot saladReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 500g peeled prawns, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup cornflourcornstarchX
- 1 ½ tablespoons Thai-style red curry paste
- 1 egg white
- ⅔ cup fresh coriandercilantroX
- ⅔ cup fresh mint
- 3 spring onions, thinly chopped
- 75g green beans, thinly chopped
- spray oil
- 4 teaspoons castor sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 cup bean sprouts, trimmed
- 4 large carrots, peeled in ribbons
- 2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
1 Place prawns, cornflour, curry paste, egg white and half the coriander and mint in a food processor. Process until combined. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in onions and beans.
2 Spray a large frying pan with oil and place over a medium-high heat. Spoon quarter-cupfuls of mixture into pan. Cook cakes in batches for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through (makes 12 cakes). Transfer onto a plate lined with a paper towel.
3 Meanwhile, mix 2 tablespoons boiling water and castor sugar in a small bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Stir in vinegar. Transfer to a large bowl. Add sprouts, carrots, spinach, seeds and remaining coriander and mint. Toss gently to combine. Serve prawn cakes with carrot salad, rice and lime wedges.
- Any Thai-style curry paste can be used. Try one that suits your ‘heat’ tolerance. Red and green are the hottest.
- Make it gluten free: Check cornflour and curry paste are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information