Hearty tomato and red lentil soup
Time to make: 45 mins
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 10 medium (1kg) tomatoes, finely diced or 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- pinch of salt, to serve
- ground black pepper, to serve
- 4 toasted slices Vogel’s Original Mixed Grain bread (or similar)
- 8 teaspoons reduced-fat spread
Total fat 12g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 15g
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, carrot and cumin seeds. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add ground coriander, paprika, turmeric and tomatoes and continue to cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring often until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add water, lentils and tomato paste. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 25-30 minutes, adding a touch more water if needed. Add sugar, if using, then season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, with toast and spread.
If you love smoky flavours, use smoked paprika in place of regular.
Make it vegan: Check bread and spread are vegan.
This recipe is ideal for making big batches and freezing.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us