HFG sausage casserole
Last updated date: 12 September 2018
(at time of publication)
4 pre-cooked lean sausages
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 carrots, sliced
1 red capsicum, chopped
400g can crushed tomatoes
400g red kidney beans, drained, no added salt
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 cups frozen green beans
1 Prick and boil sausages for around 5 minutes, until cooked. Leave to cool for a few minutes and then slice into pieces around 1 1/2-2cm thick; dry-fry in a non-stick frying pan until browned on both sides. Set aside.
2 Spray pan with oil.Add onion and garlic to pan, cook on medium heat for a few minutes. Add carrots and capsicum and stir-fry for another 2 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, red kidney beans and tomato sauce and chilli sauce (optional). Simmer for around 10 minutes, or until carrots are soft. Return sausages to pan, add green beans and heat for a further 5 minutes. Serve with rice or mashed potato.
What we did
- Used lean sausages, eg. venison
- Pre-cooked the sausages
- Eliminated 2 tablespoons of oil
- Added 2 carrots, 1 red capsicum, 2 cups frozen green beans
- Added a tin of beans
Traditional sausage casserole (per serve)
Total energy 2010kJTotal fat 38.7g (13.4g saturated fat)
HFG sausage casserole (per serve)
Total energy 1180 kJTotal fat 13g (5g saturated fat)
- While this recipe uses carrots, red capsicum and green beans, any vegetables will do; kumara, pumpkin, celery, leek and courgette all work well. Remember, quantity and variety are the key words here.
- Make a one-pot dinner – this saves time as well as dishes! To this recipe, when you add the canned tomatoes, add 1 cup dry pasta (macaroni, penne or spirals) and 2 cups liquid (stock or water). Cook for around 10 minutes before adding the chilli beans and beans. Serve topped with grated parmesan and a crusty roll. This has all the goodness of a complete meal in one easy dish.
- This recipe freezes well. Double the quantity and freeze half for another night.
- Boil sausages before use. By pricking and boiling the sausages before you use them, you are allowing some of the fat to melt out into the boiling liquid. The more fat you get rid of at this stage, the less you eat!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 13g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.