Leek, kale and potato soup with pizza pitas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large leeks, washed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400g potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 2 cups hot reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 4 cups boiling water
- 120g pack kale and spinach mix
- sprinkling of ground nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons light sour cream, to serve
- sprinkling of chopped fresh mint, to serve
- salt and pepper, to season
- Pizza toasts
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh mint
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup halved sun-dried tomatoes
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- 40g flaked almonds
- 4 wholemeal mini pita breads
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over a medium heat. Cook leek and garlic for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, stock and water. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add kale and spinach mix with nutmeg and cook for 5 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, make pita pizzas. Combine herbs, tomato, parmesan and almonds. Cut pitas in triangles and top with herb and tomato mix. Grill until golden.
- Blend soup to a chunky consistency. Season to taste. Serve with a spoonful each of sour cream and mint, with pizza pitas on the side.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free bread and check stock, ground nutmeg and sour cream are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Check pita is vegan, omit sour cream and use vegan parmesan, such as Angel Food
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like