Easy butter chicken
(at time of publication)
- 6 (1kg bone in) skinless chicken thigh cutlets
- 2 tablespoons tandoori paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriandercilantroX
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons no-added-salt tomato paste
- 410g can tomato purée
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 cup trimmed snow peas or frozen peas
- 1 cup sliced green beans
- 2 bunches trimmed Asian greens, cut in 8cm lengths
- 3 cups steamed basmati rice, to serve
1 In a large bowl combine chicken and tandoori paste. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
2 Preheat oven to 160°C. In a large flameproof casserole dish heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning, for 4–5 minutes, or until browned. Remove from dish and set aside.
3 Add onion and garlic to dish. Cook, stirring, until onion softens. Add spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir in tomato paste, tomato purée, stock, honey and cinnamon. Bring to the boil.
4 Return reserved chicken to dish. Cover then bake for 1 1/4 hours. Uncover dish and bake for a further 30 minutes, or until chicken falls off the bone and sauce thickens. Stir in yoghurt.
5 Meanwhile, in a saucepan of boiling water blanch green veges until just tender. Drain. Serve with chicken and rice.
Make it gluten free: Check tandoori paste, ground spices, tomato paste, tomato purée, stock and yoghurt are gluten free.
If freezing, leave out yoghurt and add when reheating for best results.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 5g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.