Indian chicken and vegetable curry
(at time of publication)
- oil spray
- 500g lean chicken thigh fillets, fat-trimmed, cut in chunks
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut in 2cm pieces
- ¼ cup rogan josh curry paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup liquid no-added-salt chicken stock
- 400g pumpkin, peeled, cut in 2cm pieces
- 200g cauliflower florets
- 200g green beans, cut in 3cm pieces
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk powder
- 3 cups steamed basmati rice
- 4 tablespoons mint raita (made with ¾ cup low-fat plain yoghurt mixed with 2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh mint)
1 Lightly spray a large saucepan with oil and place over a medium heat. Brown chicken in 3 batches and transfer to a plate. Respray saucepan with oil. Add onion and carrot and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
2 Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Return chicken to pan with tomatoes, stock, 2 cups water and pumpkin. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
3 Add cauliflower and beans. Cook, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir through spinach.
4 Combine coconut milk powder with 1 tablespoon warm water in a small bowl. Stir into curry. Serve with rice and mint raita.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free curry paste and check stock and yoghurt (raita) are gluten free.
- Frozen vegetables also work well in this recipe.
- Slow cooker variation: This recipe can also be cooked for 6–10 hours in a slow cooker on low.
This dish freezes well for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us