Indian chicken and vegetable curry
(at time of publication)
- spray oil
- 500g lean chicken thigh fillets, fat-trimmed, cut in chunks
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut in 2cm pieces
- ¼ cup rogan josh curry paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup liquid no-added-salt chicken stock
- 400g pumpkin, peeled, cut in 2cm pieces
- 200g cauliflower florets
- 200g green beans, cut in 3cm pieces
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk powder
- 3 cups steamed basmati rice
- 4 tablespoons mint raita (made with ¾ cup low-fat plain yoghurt mixed with 2 tablespoons finely shredded fresh mint)
1 Lightly spray a large saucepan with oil and place over a medium heat. Brown chicken in 3 batches and transfer to a plate. Respray saucepan with oil. Add onion and carrot and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
2 Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Return chicken to pan with tomatoes, stock, 2 cups water and pumpkin. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
3 Add cauliflower and beans. Cook, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir through spinach.
4 Combine coconut milk powder with 1 tablespoon warm water in a small bowl. Stir into curry. Serve with rice and mint raita.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free curry paste and check stock and yoghurt (raita) are gluten free.
- Frozen vegetables also work well in this recipe.
- Slow cooker variation: This recipe can also be cooked for 6–10 hours in a slow cooker on low.
This dish freezes well for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 14g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information