Kumara, coriander and lemongrass soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large floury potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 700g (about 2) golden kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 fat cloves garlic
- 1 heaped teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 heaped teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemongrass, finely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups trim milk
1 Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic and cook until soft. Mix in the spices and lemongrass then add the prepared kumara and potato. Cover with the stock and simmer vigorously, uncovered, until the vegetables are very tender.
2 Using a processor or stick blender, purée the cooked vegetables with the liquid until thick, velvety and lump-free. Return to the saucepan and add the salt and milk. Mix well, heat gently and adjust the seasoning to taste.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4.3g
Saturated fat 0.9g
Dietary fibre 2.2g
Lemongrass stalks are available from produce specialists, Asian food stores and some supermarkets. The stalks can be frozen until required. Press the stalks with the flat side of a knife to crush the stem and split the skin. Peel off and discard the coarse outer layer. Lemongrass is fibrous so always chop it finely. Or try Fresh As freeze-fried lemongrass, which has a great flavour and a little goes a long way.