Kumara with black beans, jalapeno and avocado
(at time of publication)
- 4 large kumarasweet-potatoX (200g each)
- 400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 long jalapeño or green chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriandercilantroX leaves, plus extra to garnish
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar
- freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ firm ripe avocado, diced
- 4 cups mixed salad leaves, to serve
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette (made with 2 parts balsamic vinegar to 1 part olive oil)
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Scrub kumara and pat dry with paper towel. Prick all over with a fork. Place on prepared tray and bake, turning after 20 minutes, for 40-45 minutes, or until soft when pierced with a skewer. Leave cooked kumara to cool for 10 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, make filling. Mix beans, tomatoes, spring onions, jalapeño (or chilli), coriander and half the cheese in a large bowl. Season with cracked black pepper.
3 Make a long cut, lengthways, along the top of the kumara. Open gently and mash flesh lightly with a fork. Spoon a quarter of the filling into each kumara, then scatter with remaining cheese. Return kumara to oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until filling is hot and cheese has melted.
4 Top with avocado, garnish with extra coriander and serve with salad leaves and vinaigrette.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 15g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.