- 8 toothpicks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lamb steaks (400-450g), trimmed
- 4 x 80g (large) Lebanese flatbreads
- 200g cucumber and mint yoghurt dip
- 300g pack iceberg lettuce, carrot and red cabbage
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes, cut in wedges
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Drizzle oil over steaks and season with a light sprinkling of salt and pepper. In a preheated frying pan cook steaks to medium-rare (3-4 minutes each side). Transfer to a warm plate, cover and set aside.
2 Make two wraps at a time with already prepared ingredients. Slice meat finely then re-cover until needed. Warm flatbreads on a grill plate or in a non-stick frying pan. Cut in half and spread over some yoghurt dip.
3 To assemble gyros, load shredded lettuce, vegetables, meat strips, tomato and red onion in middle of wrap halves. Roll into a cone shape, secure base with a toothpick and serve with extra yoghurt dip on the side.
- For extra flavour add smoked paprika or sumac (in step 1) to season. Sprinkle with a little Tabasco to serve.
- Make it vegetarian: While a gyro is traditionally meaty, lamb can easily be replaced with a couple of falafels or with homemade mashed bean ‘meatballs’ in each wrap.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flatbread and check yoghurt dip is gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.