Lentil and ricotta eggplant parmigiana
- 2 large eggplantaubergineXs
- oil spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 400g can no-added-salt lentils, rinsed and drained
- cracked black pepper
- 1 cup ricotta
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan
- 4 cups baby rocketarugulaX
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Cut each eggplant lengthways into four flat 1cm-thick slices. Lightly spray both sides of each slice with olive oil. Place on the prepared tray and bake for 15–20 minutes, or until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat half of the olive oil over medium heat. Gently fry onion and celery for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add cumin and garlic and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add tomatoes and lentils. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until thick. Season with cracked black pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, basil and half of the parmesan.
- Top each eggplant slice with 1/8 of the lentil mixture, then top with the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. In a salad bowl, toss rocket with balsamic vinegar and the remaining oil. Serve eggplant parmigiana with rocket salad.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 12g
Make it gluten free: Check cumin is gluten free.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us