(at time of publication)
- 200g macaroni (or any short pasta)
- ½ head cauliflower (about 300g), cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread
- 3 tablespoons plain flourall purpose flourX
- 575ml trim milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ cup grated reduced-fat mature cheddar
- 6 spring onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan
- 6 large tomatoes, sliced
- ¾ cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling water according to packet instructions, adding cauliflower for last 4 minutes; drain.
- Melt spread in a separate large saucepan set over medium heat; beat in flour until a smooth paste forms. Add milk ¼ cup at a time, stirring and heating between additions, until mixture becomes a thick sauce; simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add mustard, cheese, spring onions and half the parmesan to pan; stir in cooked pasta and cauliflower. Transfer mixture to a large baking dish and top with tomato slices.
- Combine breadcrumbs with thyme and remaining parmesan in a bowl; scatter on top of the tomato slices. Transfer dish to oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until surface is bubbling and golden; leave to cool for 5 minutes and serve.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free pasta, flour and breadcrumbs. Check mustard is gluten free.
Why OUR dish is healthier!
- Trim milk replaces full-fat milk, reduced-fat spread replaces butter and we’ve used less cheese to massively slash the saturated fat content
- Cauliflower bulks up the dish with filling fibre so we use less pasta
- The crunchy tomato-crumb topping lifts the number of vegetables
- Mustard and fresh herbs add flavour without needing salt
- This satisfying dish delivers under half the kilojoules and sodium, and more than twice the fibre of some macaroni cheese recipes
- Save: 2500kJ, 56g fat, 37g sat fat, 640mg sodium
- Add: 4g fibre
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 12g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 7g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information