Red dhal with turmeric rice
- ¹/³ cup brown rice
- 2cm piece fresh turmeric, peeled, sliced, or ½ teaspoon ground
- pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ cup dried red lentils
- 1 cup reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes (or more to taste)
- 4 cups spinach or chopped silver beet
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt, to serve (optional)
- fresh coriandercilantroX, to garnish (optional)
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 In a saucepan place rice and cover with water. Add turmeric and salt. Cover and bring to the boil. Then reduce heat to the lowest setting and simmer for 25 minutes, or until rice is tender.
2 Meanwhile, in a large pan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, until softened and starting to go golden. Add carrot, celery, ginger and curry powder and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add lentils and stock. Stir in tomato paste and soy sauce.
3 Lower heat and simmer dhal for 10-15 minutes, until lentils are soft and collapsing. Add chilli flakes and spinach and stir until leaves are wilted.
4 Serve dhal with turmeric rice and top with yoghurt and coriander, if desired.
Make it gluten free: Check ground turmeric, curry powder, stock, tomato paste and soy sauce are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use a vegan yoghurt.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.