Mexican slow-cooked beef
(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 850g bolar beef, fat removed
- 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 75g sun-dried tomatoes, drained, chopped
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 sachet bouquet garni (mixed herbs) – see tip
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 orange kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, cut in chunks
- 1 cup passata
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup liquid salt-reduced beef stock
1 Turn slow cooker to low. Heat oil in a frying pan and brown beef on all sides.
2 Place beef in slow cooker with remaining ingredients, adding liquids last. Mix well.
3 Cover and cook for 7-8 hours until beef is tender. If possible, turn beef at some stage during cooking.
4 Remove beef from slow cooker and cut in chunks. Return to casserole and stir through.
Serve beef with fresh coriander, warmed tortillas and low-fat plain yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Check pesto, chilli powder, passata and stock are gluten free.
Bouquet garni sachets are available in the dried herbs section of most supermarkets (or use a selection of fresh herbs — such as thyme, rosemary and parsley — tied together with string).
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.