Miso-glazed roasted eggplant with sesame rice
(at time of publication)
- ¼ cup white miso (see tips)
- ¼ cup mirin
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons castor sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 medium eggplantaubergineXs, halved lengthways
- spray oil
- 2 ½ cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons toasted black sesame seeds (see tips)
- shredded spring onion and micro-herbs, to garnish (optional, see tips)
- 2 bunches steamed broccolini or 3 cups broccoli florets, to serve
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. In a small bowl, combine miso, mirin, ginger, sugar and sesame oil. Set aside.
2 Score a diamond pattern into the eggplant flesh (take care not to cut through the skin).
3 Arrange eggplant, flesh-side up, on the baking tray. Brush with miso mixture and spray with olive oil. Roast for 25-30 minutes, or until flesh is tender.
4 Stir sesame seeds through warm rice.
5 Top eggplant with spring onion and micro-herbs, if using. Serve with sesame rice and steamed broccolini.
Make it vegan: Check miso and mirin are vegan.
Miso paste is a Japanese seasoning made from fermented soy beans and rice or barley. It has a salty, umami flavour.
If you can’t find black sesame seeds, just use white ones.
Micro-herbs can be found in some supermarkets in the fresh section, or in specialty food stores.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.