Eggplant and mushroom tacos
- spray oil
- 150g shiitake mushrooms, finely sliced
- 1 small eggplantaubergineX (250g), chopped in 1cm cubes
- 400g can no-added-salt lentils, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup reduced-salt vegetable stock or 1 teaspoon miso mixed with ½ cup water
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh coriandercilantroX
- 4 corn sweetcornXtortillas (we used Tio Pablo) 30g swiss cheese, chopped in ½ cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons chipotle or chilli sauce (optional)
1 Spray a large pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until tender and golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
2 Add eggplant to pan with another spray of oil. Cook eggplant, stirring, for 5-8 minutes, until softened. Add lentils, spices and stock or miso. cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more. Add mushrooms back to pan and cook another 2 minutes. Stir through half of the coriander.
3 Warm tortillas according to packet instructions. Serve eggplant mixture with tortillas, topped with remaining coriander, cheese and chilli sauce.
Make it vegan: Replace the Swiss cheese with a vegan hard cheese alternative. Check the tortillas and chilli or chipotle sauce are vegan.
Make it gluten free: Check ground spices, stock (or miso), tortillas and sauce are gluten free.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 17g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
Eggplant, aubergine recipes