Nasi goreng with fried egg, pickled cucumber and carrot
(at time of publication)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, cut in matchsticks
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 ½ tablespoons sushi seasoning (see tips)
- olive spray oil
- 300g firm tofu, diced in 1 ½cm cubes
- 1 small red onion, cut in thin wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons sambal oelek
- 1 medium red capsicum, seeded, diced
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut in florets
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (1 cup raw)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 4 eggs
1 Place carrot, cucumber and sushi seasoning in a bowl; leave to pickle for 10 minutes, then drain and set aside.
2 Meanwhile spray a non-stick wok with olive oil and set over high heat. Add tofu and stir-fry for 2—3 minutes, or until golden. Remove tofu from wok; set aside.
3 Return wok to high heat and spray with a little more oil. Sauté onion for 1 minute. Add garlic and sambal; stir-fry until fragrant. Add capsicum and broccoli with water; stir-fry for 2 minutes, or until almost tender.
4 Add rice and soy sauce to wok; stir-fry for 1—2 minutes, or until heated through. Return reserved tofu to wok and toss. Meanwhile spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over high heat. Fry eggs for 2—3 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
5 Divide nasi goreng among four bowls. Top rice with a fried egg, and serve with pickled cucumber and carrot.
Make it gluten free: Check tofu, soy sauce, sushi seasoning and sambal oelek are gluten free.
Sushi seasoning is available in the Asian food aisle of your supermarket. Alternatively, you could try apple cider vinegar.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 17g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 10g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.