(at time of publication)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon mild or hot curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriandercilantroX
- 750g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 6-8 chunky pieces
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup light evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- ½ cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt, to taste
1 Set a medium to large-sized slow cooker to low. Heat oil in a large pan. Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are clear but not browned. Stir in ginger, curry powder, cumin and coriander. Cook for about 1 more minute.
2 Add chicken to pan over a moderate heat. Tip pan contents into slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, evaporated milk, tomato paste and garam masala. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
3 Stir in yoghurt and sugar. Season with salt. Leave for another 15-20 minutes (on longer cooking the yoghurt may separate). Serve on rice with poppadums and a cucumber and tomato salad on the side.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free curry powder, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, yoghurt and cornflour (if using).
If sauce seems too thin, before adding garam masala, add about 1 tablespoon arrowroot, potato starch or cornflour mixed to a paste with warm water.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.