- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon mild or hot curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriandercilantroX
- 750g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 6-8 chunky pieces
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup light evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- ½ cup low-fat plain yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt, to taste
1 Set a medium to large-sized slow cooker to low. Heat oil in a large pan. Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are clear but not browned. Stir in ginger, curry powder, cumin and coriander. Cook for about 1 more minute.
2 Add chicken to pan over a moderate heat. Tip pan contents into slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, evaporated milk, tomato paste and garam masala. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
3 Stir in yoghurt and sugar. Season with salt. Leave for another 15-20 minutes (on longer cooking the yoghurt may separate). Serve on rice with poppadums and a cucumber and tomato salad on the side.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free curry powder, canned tomatoes, tomato paste, yoghurt and cornflour (if using).
If sauce seems too thin, before adding garam masala, add about 1 tablespoon arrowroot, potato starch or cornflour mixed to a paste with warm water.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 7g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 3g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like